Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Assignment: Cambodia

Well the best way to get a perspective on other people and places is to pack your bags and go there, and that’s what we’re going to do this year. I have to admit that the idea of an adventure has been cooking for some time. Several months ago I started seeking opportunities for an overseas assignment with my boss and other departments. Getting all the gears to turn in unison in a bureaucracy is maddening, especially when you’d like to have some kind of heads up for your family.
Today they have finally confirmed it. My employer is putting me on a temporary assignment to Phnom Penh, Cambodia. I’m thrilled! We've just got the confirmation that we're moving--and the date is only a few weeks away! With butterflies in our stomachs, my husband and I shared the news with the kids. The sad part is that TJ is not going. His job is sending him overseas, too, but nowhere nearby. We will have to get our hugs and kisses over skype.

The news has been a shock for the extended family, but not for the kids. They are happy adventurers and pretty excited to try something new. Ernest ran to the kitchen to check the map. Cambodia. Seems like the farthest place from here.